Monday, November 21, 2011

Let There Be Writing

As I write this, there are nine days left of NaNoWriMo. For me to successfully complete it, I will need to write 3500 words every day from now until the end of the month. No easy feat, let me assure you.

I am a hair's breadth from tossing the novel out the window. After abandoning my initial idea and running with whatever my mind constructed, I am at the point where I simply don't care what happens to the characters I have lovingly crafted. I identified it as more of a literary exercise than a publishable endeavour a couple of weeks ago, and it has gotten to the point where it feels more of a chore than something I am keenly interested in doing. For those who have actually read my writing previously, you'll know that my strongest writing is writing where my emotions have bled into the words I have typed. It is for this reason that I am tempted to abandon my novel, but nonetheless I will try and grit my teeth and grind my way out to 50k.

If I don't complete my novel, will this all have been a waste of time? Not in the least. I have several plans for stories I can write in the pipeline, and there are avenues available to me to get published. It won't be easy, especially if I plan on completely changing my studies and landing a decent job in the meantime. However, this is what I want to do for a living.

My passion for writing has been reignited. Big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment